Dr. Éanna Falvey
Director of Sports Medicine.
MB, BCh, MRCPI, MmedSci (Sports & Exercise Medicine), FFSEM
Dr Éanna Falvey completed his medical training in University College Cork succesfully gaining memebership of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland and a Masters degree in Sports Medicine before commencing full-time training in Sports Medicine at Cork University Hospital in 2003
Since then, Dr Falvey has been involved in providing sports medicine coverage for a range of sports including Hurling, Football, Boxing, Rugby, Australian Rules football, track and field, swimming, diving and Tae-Kwon-Do at recreational through to elite levels.
In 2007, Dr Falvey undertook a fellowship in sports medicine at the Centre for Health Exercise and Sports Medicine at the University of Melbourne. He formed a Research paternership with Dr Andrew Franklyn-Miller and this research has led to numerous publications on groin pain, fascial injury, injury prevention and sports medicine anatomy. They co-wrote Clinical Sports Anatomy the leading Sports Medicine anatomy text.
Current reseach interests include: the biomechanics of groin pain, the use of PRP in acute tendon injury and the role of gut microbiota in athlete health and performance and exercise induced asthma.
Professional interests include, chronic groin pain, tendon injury, lower limb overuse injury, performance and injury prevention in elite team sport.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MB, BCH), University College Cork, 2000
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland, 2003
- Masters in Sports & Exercise Medicine (UCC), 2003 MmedSc (Sports & Exercise)
- Sports Medicine Fellow, Cork University Hospital, 2004-2007
- PhD candidate (on-going), University College Cork, 2005-2012
- Clinical/Research Fellowship (Sports Medicine), Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre, Melbourne, Australia and Centre for Health Exercise & Sports Medicine, University of Melbourne, Melbourne Australia 2007-2008
- Director of Sports & Exercise Medicine, Sports Surgery Clinic 2008-
- Team Doctor Irish Senior Rugby Team 2009-
- Team Doctor Irish Amateur Boxing Association High Performance Unit 2009-
- Research Fellow - Centre for Health Exercise & Sports medicine, University of Melbourne.
Past affiliations with teams
- Munster Rugby Senior Squad 2003-2007
- Australian team medical officer: World Summer University Games 2007
- Geelong Cats, VFL team doctor 2007
- Ireland ‘A' Senior Rugby Team; Barclay's Churchill Cup 2008
- Ireland U-21 Rugby Team;
- World Championships 2005, 2006
- IRB Six Nations, 2006
- Irish Amateur Boxing Association 2003
- Cloyne Senior Hurling Team 2000- present
- International Superheavyweight Boxer
- National Senior Superheavyweight Champion 2002
- National Intermediate Heavyweight Champion 1997
- Sports Scholarship Recipient, University College Cork, 1997-1999
- Author: Clinical Sports Anatomy, McGraw-Hill 2011
- Contributing author: IOC Sports Medicine Manual 2012- Ch 10 Hip & Groin
- Contributing author: FIMS Sports Medicine Manual: Event Planning and Emergency Care 2010- Section 14.14, Rugby Union.
- Contributing author: Sports Emergencies: Management Scenarios 2010- Ch 2, 15
- 1. Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction and exercise testing in an international rugby union team.
Falvey EC, McCarthy C, O'Connor TM, Shanahan F, Molloy MG, Plant BJ.
Thorax. 2010 Sep;65(9):843-4.
- 2. Iliotibial band syndrome: an examination of the evidence behind a number of treatment options.
Falvey EC, Clark RA, Franklyn-Miller A, Bryant AL, Briggs C, McCrory PR.
Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2010 Aug;20(4):580-7.
- 3. Sport and recreation-related injuries and fracture occurrence among emergency department attendees: implications for exercise prescription and injury prevention.
Falvey EC, Eustace J, Whelan B, Molloy MS, Cusack SP, Shanahan F, Molloy MG.
Emerg Med J. 2009 Aug;26(8):590-5.
- 4. A 3G approach to a 3-dimensional problem.
Falvey E, Franklyn-Miller A, McCrory P.
Br J Sports Med. 2009 Feb;43(2):145. Epub 2008 Dec 16.
- 5. The groin triangle: a patho-anatomical approach to the diagnosis of chronic groin pain in athletes.
Falvey EC, Franklyn-Miller A, McCrory PR. Br J Sports Med. 2009 Mar;43(3):213-20.
- 6. The greater trochanter triangle; a pathoanatomic approach to the diagnosis of chronic, proximal,lateral, lower limb [corrected] pain in athletes.
Falvey EC, Franklyn-Miller A, McCrory PR.
Br J Sports Med. 2009 Feb;43(2):146-52. Erratum in: Br J Sports Med. 2011 Feb;45(2):154.
- 7. A comparison of Gaelic football injuries in males and females in primary care.
Crowley J, Jordan J, Falvey E. Ir Med J. 2011 Oct;104(9):268-70.
- 8. The effect of gait velocity on calcaneal balance at heel strike; Implications for orthotic prescription in injury prevention.
Shanthikumar S, Low Z, Falvey E, McCrory P, Franklyn-Miller A. Gait Posture. 2010 Jan;31(1):9-12.
- 9. Assessment of mechanical strain in the intact plantar fascia.
Clark RA, Franklyn-Miller A, Falvey E, Bryant AL, Bartold S, McCrory P.
Foot (Edinb). 2009 Sep;19(3):161-4.
- 10. Patient-based not problem-based learning: an Oslerian approach to clinical skills, looking back to move forward.
Franklyn-Miller AD, Falvey EC, McCrory PR. J Postgrad Med. 2009 Jul-Sep;55(3):198-203.
- 11. Type 1 hypersensitivity reaction to carboxymethylcellulose following intra-articular triamcinolone injection.
Field S, Falvey E, Barry J, Bourke J. Contact Dermatitis. 2009 Nov;61(5):302-3.
- 12. Time to wind back the clock?
Franklyn-Miller A, Falvey E, McCrory P. Surgeon. 2009 Apr;7(2):69-70.
- 13. Orthopaedic admissions due to sports and recreation injuries.
Delaney RA, Falvey E, Kalimuthu S, Molloy MG, Fleming P. Ir Med J. 2009 Feb;102(2):40-2.
- 14. Fasciitis first before tendinopathy: does the anatomy hold the key?
Franklyn-Miller A, Falvey E, McCrory P. Br J Sports Med. 2009 Dec;43(12):887-9.
- 15. The gluteal triangle: a clinical patho-anatomical approach to the diagnosis of gluteal pain in athletes.
Franklyn-Miller A, Falvey E, McCrory P. Br J Sports Med. 2009 Jun;43(6):460-6.
- 16. The diagnosis of longstanding groin pain: a prospective clinical cohort study.
Bradshaw CJ, Bundy M, Falvey E.
Br J Sports Med. 2008 Oct;42(10):851-4. Erratum in: Br J Sports Med. 2009 Apr;43(4):310-1.
- 17. Problem-based learning in sports medicine: the way forward or a backward step?
Franklyn-Miller A, Falvey E, McCrory P. Br J Sports Med. 2007 Oct;41(10):623-4.